Lokvičići, a municipality near Imotski in the Split-Dalmatia County, which got its interesting sounding name from the Lokvičić tribe, comprises several villages and hamlets like Berinovac, Kljenovac, Poboj, Lokvičići, Vidulini, Dolića Draga Donja and Dolića Draga Gornja.
Situated between Biokovo and Zavelim, Lokvičići has been a desirable place to live since the olden days because of its hills and pastures. There are numerous historic remains to serve as proof – tombstones from the 12th century and a Roman road. There are also nearby lakes – Mamića Lake (Lokvičić Lake), Knezovića Lake and Galipovac Lake.
The Lokvičići area was an exclave (a part geographically separated from the rest of the territory) of the town of Imotski until 1997 when, together with a part of the Proložac municipality (former Donji Proložac), it became a separate municipality. Up until 1678, Lokvičići as a whole was known as Podstranja. That same year, the Lokvičići Parish was established which consisted of 18 families.
Although the Lokvičići municipality is characterised by its beautiful landscape and natural wonders, it also has an abundance of historic monuments such as ancient rock pile formations, tombstone cemeteries and fortification remains. Well-known tombstones are located in Berinovac and Pezići. During the Roman rule, one of the main roman roads (Salona – Trilj – Imotski region – Neretva) ran through the Lokvičići area.
The first church, – St. Anthony church – which later became the parish church, was dedicated in 1760 and today is used as the cemetery church. The new church – Christ the King Church – was built and dedicated in 1931.
Ilija Zovko, actor, Lujo Medvidović, author and lawyer, Milan Štrljić, actor, former general manager of the Croatian National Theatre in Split, Ivan Strinić, soccer player, Mate Kavelj, poet, Stipan Medvidović, poet…these are just some of the names of individuals who come from this beautiful area.
If you find yourself in the area of Imotski, be sure to visit this small but interesting looking place. Lokvičići depicts a true settlement from the olden days in the Imotski region, Dalmatia, situated in its western area between the two giants – the Dalmatian Biokovo and the Bosnian-Herzegovinian Zavelim..